Ram Navami is an auspicious Hindu festival which is celebrated every year, on the birth anniversary of Lord Ram. Popularly celebrated by Hindus during spring Navratri, on the ninth day of Chaitra (a month according to the Hindu lunar calendar.) The occasion of Ram Navami mostly falls during the month of March or April according to the English calendar.
Who is Lord Ram?
Lord Ram is the 7th avatar or incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Known for his righteous nature, Shri Ram was born in the kingdom of Ayodhya and was the son of Dasharatha, the king of Ayodhya and Queen Kaushalya. Also known as Maryada Purusottama for his nobility and righteous approach during his reign in the Treta Yuga, Lord Ram made many sacrifices during his life to make the livelihoods of his pupil better.
How is Ram Navami celebrated?
- Common people and the temple priests have their own way of celebrating Ram Navami.
- The holy idols or photo of Lord Rama along with his brother Shri Lakshmana, wife Sita and Lord Hanuman are worshipped during this specific occasion.
- Recitals of Shri Ram Katha or the epic Ramayana is done by the worshippers.
- Worshippers make devotional offerings such Bhog/Prasad, clothes for Lord Rama, garlands amongst others.
- Yagya or havan is also done by the devotees on Ram Navami.
- After the completion of Puja rituals, Aarti is performed by all the worshippers.
- Ram devotees keep fast and break it once they worship and feed 9 girl children.
- These 9 girls are offered tilak on their forehead, food, and gifts post completion of the puja rituals.
- People also organise a procession or chariot ride of Lord Ram on this day.
Ram Navami & its importance:
Worshiping of Lord Ram on Ram Navami is believed to bring divinity and joy among people. Ram Navami is one of the most important festivals for Hindus and the followers of Vaishnavism.
Devotees also visit Ayodhya during the auspicious month of ‘Ram Janam’ to take a holy bath in the Sarayu River and to participate in the birthday celebration of Lord Ram in the Ram temple. The video will take you through the journey of Lord Ram and how we can motivate children to celebrate this auspicious occasion with much zealousness and fervour.
Duration: 05 mins 48 secs
Credits: Hindi Stories Kahaniyan
If you wish to dive into more briefed facts on the astrological significance and rituals of Ram Navami, the below-mentioned video by Astroved will surely feed your curiosity.